See what I did with that prop there? Eh, eh? Comedic gold! (or fool's gold..)
Also, for some bizarre reason I also decided that I needed I faux tux front to the whole business. Does this make sense? Only in Amanda-land. Did it work? I'm thinking it did!
I'm really proud of this little feature! I removed the extra fabric allocated for the pleat on the tank front pattern piece and cut my fabric to this size instead. I then cut some white poplin to the width of the pleat allocation plus a seam allowance, sewed it up, pressed it flat and added a strip of eyelet lace down each side and some black buttons for the final flourish. May I take a moment to feel a little proud of myself and say check out how neat the top stitching is as well as how matchy matchy the lace is on either side? Rad, huh?!
So let's get to the kicker. I spent ages pining and sewing the front panel to get it just perfect. Those sassy buttons above? Two episodes of 30 Rock to measure and sew on. I want to convey my commitment to slow burn sewing here... Feeling rather proud of myself I skipped around the house showing people how awesome I was at making faux tux panels. And then I gathered the other half of the tank to pin the shoulders and it happened. I realised I had pimped my tank back and not my tank front. Yup. Rookie mistake...
|Nice tank back. Or is that tank front?|
Now Amanda six months ago would have gotten cross and started unpicking. Sassy September Amanda merely laughed (somewhat hysterically I am sure) and dragged out the front pattern piece, traced the neckline and armhole onto my fancy tux panel and got hacking. The top still work out, my hours of fussiness weren't wasted and I got to add some fierce gathers under the front of the armhole. Some may call them evidence of my mistake. I call them underarm ruching of POWAH!
So let's talk mini-bloomers. Firstly, cutest name ever. Secondly, I think I am a little in love with these. I decided if they were going to be sleepwear I was going to treat myself to some fancy finishings. I used black satin bias binding to finish the top seams, yellow cotton bias binding to finish the bottom seams and then french seamed all of the seams inside. A little bit over the top? Heck, yes! But I wanted to see if I could do it and I must admit it looks rather fancy pants... See what I did there? It's lame joke time at Bimble and Pimble!
These went together really easily except the button holes to thread the ribbon on the legs through but that is a continuing sore spot between Sweet Violet the Janome and myself... Otherwise the instructions were super clear (thanks yet again, Colette) and I must admit I will be making these again. I mean, could the ribbon ties be any cuter?!
What I liked about these patterns:
- How easily everything went together. Had I not been Ms Fussy McPantsdon I could have knocked a whole jammie set out in an afternoon.
- How customisable the Sorbetto tank is. I mean, I have made some of these before but this was the first time I played with notions on it.
- How darn cute the finished product is. It makes me want to dance...
What I will change for next time:
- Double check my pattern pieces. Duh.
- Go up a size in the bloomers. They are comfy as they are but I like a bit more room in my sleep wear.
- Have an actual martini in hand whilst I take pictures of me being all snooty in my faux tux! Invisible martini!
You could say I love these new jammies so much I'm jumping for joy... Oh, yes I did segway lamely into a novelty photo!
But you must excuse me, it's bedtime and I need to get styling...